This page is under construction. Please contact us to report any errors.
2020 Signature Youth Tournaments
Welcome to the Happiest Place on Earth! Begin your journey to the top here.These tournaments are for players under 18 years with rating under 1400.
Others, please check out our regular/adult tournaments.
Quick Links to Navigate This Page:
General Information (Prizes, Schedule, Time Control)
Basic Orientation (How to Register, Before You Come, When You Come)
Limited Time Specials | Calendar of Events | Swiss or Quads | Locations
Other Information (Accessibility, Electronic Devices, Membership Requirements, Staff)
- Trophies to all players with a plus score (more wins than losses) in each section
- Medals to players who do not get a trophy
- Swiss: 4 games - ~ 9:15am-1:30pm - no check-in
- Quads: 3 games - ~ 1:45-4:45pm - must check-in 1:30-2pm or no game
- G/30 d5 (each player gets up to 30 minutes with a 5 seconds delay on each move before the clock starts ticking)
How to Register
- Register online or onsite (online registration closes at midnight before the event date)
- Reconfirm that we you have your preferred email address in your user profile (so you can receive orientation & other notifications)
Before You Come
When You Come
- Swiss: Report to the TD if you find any errors or omissions (no check-in required)
- Quads: Must check-in 1:30-2pm with the Tournament Director (TD) or no game
- Everyone: Be nice to everyone
Limited Time Specials
- Our promotions make tournaments more affordable so we can make chess more accessible.
Chess4Less Program$6 dollars off Swiss & Quads fees at the following locations:
Cash Back ProgramGet $13 back when you register for Swiss & Quads combo on the same day! We are rolling this out to all locations.
Swiss or Quads?
- Onsite Registration 9-9:15am (check-in not required)
- 4 games 9:30am to ~ 1:30pm using Azhar-Langland rolling schedule (next round starts as soon as previous round finishes)
- 3 sections: Based on current month's USCF Rating Supplement
- Booster: unrated-499
- Premier: 500-799
- Champion: 800-1399
- Entry Fee: 39 (onsite 54)
- Play-up Fee: 10 (to play in one section higher)
- Late Fee: 10 (online 2 days before the tournament
- Must register or check-in 1:30-2pm with the TD or no game
- 3 games 2:15pm to ~4:45pm using Azhar-Langland rolling schedule (next round starts as soon as previous round finishes)
- Palo Alto Quads Schedule: Mandatory check-in 11:30-11:45 or no game - 3 (round-robin) games 12-2:30.
- Sections: Four players based on latest US Chess Federation Rating (a section may have 5-7 players).
- Fees: Online Entry 33, Onsite Entry 48, Late Fee 15 (2 days before the tournament or when 80% full)
Calendar of Events
LocationFebMarAprMayJun Cupertino Juniper (map) 1 1, 22 5, 19, 26 3, 17, 31 14 Foster City Courtyard Marriott (map) 29 Fremont Marriott (map) 9 1 12, 26 Palo Alto Unitarian Universalist Church (map)
15 7Q, 21Q, 28Q 4Q, 11S, 18Q, 25Q 2Q, 9Q, 16Q, 30Q 6Q Pleasanton Four Points (map) 23 7 2, 9, 17 21 Sacramento / Rancho Cordova Courtyard Marriott (map) 7, 28 9 6 San Jose SJC Airport Fairfield Inn (map) 29 30 27 San Jose / BAC Center (map) 15, 16S 1, 8, 22Q, 29 5, 12, 19Q, 26 3, 10, 17, 24S, 25, 31 7, 14, 21, 31 Santa Clara Convention Center (map) 10
- S indicates Swiss only.
- Q indicates Quads only.
- Palo Alto Quads must check-in 11:30-11:45 or no game - Games 12-2:30.
- Cupertino Juniper (map): 10050 South De Anza Boulevard, Cupertino, CA 95014
- Fremont Marriott (map): 46100 Landing Pkwy, Fremont, CA 94538
- Foster City Courtyard Marriott (map): 550 Shell Blvd, Foster City, CA 94404
- Palo Alto Unitarian Universalist Church (map) 505 E Charleston Rd, Palo Alto, CA 94306
- Pleasanton Four Points by Sheraton (map): 5115 Hopyard Rd, Pleasanton, CA 94588
- (Sacramento) Rancho Cordova Courtyard Marriott (map): 10683 White Rock Rd, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
- (San Jose) SJC Airport Fairfield Inn (map): 1755 N 1st St, San Jose, CA 95112
- (San Jose) Bay Area Chess Center (map): 2050 Concourse Drive #42, San Jose, CA 95131
- Santa Clara Convention Center (map): 5001 Great America Pkwy., Santa Clara, CA 95054
- Please turn off all phones in the playing area.
- The TD may forfeit anyone found operating a phone during an active game.
- Electronic Recording Devices:
- Please come to the registration desk 20 minutes before your first round to get an Authorization Tag for any electronic recording device before using it.
- The TD may confiscate any devices without an Authorization Tag.
Accessibility InformationWe are dedicated to making all our events accessible and inclusive for everyone. Please inform us at least two weeks before the tournament if you have any special requirements during the tournament. We will attempt to make reasonable and fair accommodations. We thank you for your continued support in making our events the happiest place on Earth.
- Chief Organizer: Salman Azhar
- Other Organizers: Zarina Azman, James Bethany, Rahima Azman, Svetlana Kondakova
- Chief Tournament Directors: National TD Tom Langland, National TD John McCumiskey
- Other Tournament Directors: National TD Richard Koepcke, Senior TD Jordan Langland, Arthur Liou, Michael D'Alfonsi, Elena Kondakova, Ryan Cottone, Brendyn Estolas, Matt LeForce, Andrew Mueckenberger, and many others.